Monday 1 August 2016

How to 'survive' college

Ok so I got a letter today from my college with all the details about going into second year on it and how to go about enrolling, both if I've passed my exams or failed them - I'm taking key note of the last one because tbh that's the one I'm most probably going to need.
Anyhow, I was inspired by this cheeky bit of post to do a kind of college survival guide so here we go

Don't get tied up in the stationary madness
I don't know if it's just me in this boat but I actually LOVE buying new stationary and getting in early on those end of school sales when the old stationary vacates the shelves ready for the new and at least 50% more expensive stuff. However, all those fancy new highlighters and novelty animal rubbers don't really come to play in college I mean I'm pretty sure the majority of my new buys are still in my stationary drawer as honestly, I managed to get by half the time with a semi-functioning pen so there's not really any point getting all the goods (even if they are reduced by like loads) it's just a waste of money really which could be used on better things eg. Mid lesson snacks

Cue cards are not substantial revision 
Learn from my mistakes!! They may seem and feel like revision because you spend so long making them but just making them doesn't class as substantial revision at all and If you are going to make them, actually read them. Now you might be thinking 'hey who makes revsion goods if they're not going to use them' but that was lit me #noshame and it will probably be you when it comes down to it like no joke my motivation level  to revise was so low an ant could have climbed over it

College relationships aren't worth it
Now you're going to get to college and realise that it's like a completely new ball game and there are cuties like left right and centre whereas you were lucky if there were about 4 in your highschool but honestly, I wouldn't bother entering a relationship with them because alrhough they're cute, it will probably end up really awkward and make the remainder of your college life that bit more uncomfortable. Par Example, I ended up going out with this guy in my sociology class and it was an actual train wreck, we ended up breaking up and then all our friends ended up getting involved and now it's super duper awkward cause like everyone is hating on each other. So it's only two years, you can probs last and maintain yourselves long enough to not feel the need to gather a partner and what not

Don't take yourself too seriously
Literally, no one cares at all what you look like at college or even what you act like I mean there's so many people there and you'll be so preoccupied you won't notice what's going on around you, so others won't really. If you're planning on full on slumming it down id perhaps wait a couple of weeks I mean that's what I did but each to their own I guess. Also, if you are one of the 'cool kids' in highschool don't go parading about your classes like the Queen of Sheba like no one really judges but if you're acting pretty extra they will.

Try not to make too many enemies (if any)
I don't really know how it happened but during my time in college I managed to somehow make sort of enemines with people and I know that sounds sad but that's the best way I can describe it. It was like we both had a mutual hatred for eachother but that hatred was actually misplaced and a side effect of getting involved with other people's drama. I can't even think why half of us even disliked eachother I mean it was completely unjustified but if any of us did something the others called us out for it and to make your college life simpler, try to prevent this from happening to you

Invest in some stress relief goods or potions 
If you haven't already established, college is so stressful like everything seemed hunky dirty at the beginning and it will feel okay when you're there living in the moment but when you look back you realise just how much hard work and stress it was and so it's my advice to you to get something which can soothe or release the stress as it builds up otherwise it would more likely just build up and that will get you nowhere but the collehe counseller. I can speak from experience here too because one day everything got too much and I was so overwhelmed and emotional I ended up crying for nearly the whole day and then got referred to the school counsel lady because of my poor handling skills

So there we go then, my advice for college. It's not quite Ned's declassified school survival guide but it will do 

No comments:

Post a Comment